Senior Data Scientist
About the job
Our wonderful client is seeking an experienced Senior Data Scientist to join their engineering team in support of the development and improvement of their proprietary algorithms potheyring the mobile application. This is a critical role on their existing data science team to build a scalable and accurate solution to serve customers personalized notifications regarding upcoming, interesting live sports look-ins.
This person will be focused on developing and scaling personalized recommendation system. This system will be used to enhance notification system by utilizing explicit and implicit user preferences to notify fans of buzzworthy moments across a variety of sports and leagues. The goal of these models is to trigger high-value, personalized notifications to users based on their preferences and usage data. This role reports into their Director of Engineering and will build upon the existing infrastructure created to develop and refine existing and new models.
This person should be highly self-motivated, able to effectively manage one’s own time, extremely collaborative, and highly communicative especially given their distributed team.
The Senior Data Scientist works directly with the Engineering and Product teams, and collaborates with the broader Operations and Partnerships teams.
In This Role, You Will
- Research and Development: Research and develop a scalable, personalized recommendation system spanning each sport and league that they cover in order to trigger effective notifications. You will also conduct research and development related to league and sport specific modeling to better predict noteworthy sports moments.
- Scoping Data Needs: Define key user data needed to build an effective recommendation and notification engine. In preparation for partnership discussions, identify league-specific data needs to effectively detect exciting moments that have some degree of predictability. Represent the team on league calls and articulate data requests and requirements for a successful customer experience.
- Model Enhancement: Contribute as a thought partner to the existing Data science team in further enhancing the model development process and existing league models. Evaluate existing models and processes to find possible improvements or potential bottlenecks.
- Onboarding and Personalization: Scope and identify what data Buzzer needs to best cluster/categorize its users for efficient recommendations and play an active role in discussions on how Buzzer should use onboarding data to send the best-personalized notifications.
- Coach and Mentor: As a technical competence leader, be responsible for coaching and mentoring data scientists across data modeling, machine learning, and other areas of their professional development in order to grow and level up the data science team.
- 5+ years working with traditional data modeling and comfortable with leveraging multiple data stheirces
- Strong experience with Python and SQL
- Experience building and evaluating both supervised and unsupervised machine learning algorithms
- Experience working within a cloud environment like AWS
- Experience with statistics and or data modeling tools and analysis
- Working knowledge of Unix/Linux
- Working knowledge of stheirce control systems, including Git
- Experience building a recommendation engine or implementing a collaborative filtering system
- Experience using cloud-based services and big data technologies to support data processing pipelines such as AWS Redshift, EMR, Sagemaker, and Spark.
- Previous experience working in an agile environment with 2-theyek sprints
- Experience in working with clients or external partners to achieve mutually desired results
- Experience with sports media applications and or design
- Ability to self-motivate and manage up to report on progress and blockers
- Empathetic, values-driven individual who is eager to contribute to a broader team culture
- Master’s Degree in Engineering, Data Science, Mathematics, Computational Statistics, Operations Research, Machine Learning or related technical fields.
About the Company
This firm delivers the moments that matter to you most. They celebrate their community of fans who are fueled by their passion for sports. Founded in New York, their growing remote team respects tradition while valuing innovation. Their belief is that as a leading unifier of the sports ecosystem, they can foster togetherness through meaningful touch points & across generations.